Weekend Recap: Monday Morning Links
This weekend had been glowing on the horizon since last winter. College football might have opened a week earlier, but there’s not much to get excited about when you know the Ducks are going to win by 70.
The first full slate of NFL games kicked off yesterday morning. Indeed, after four grueling weeks of meaningless pre-season “games,” it was refreshing to actually watch the starters take the field — even if our neighbors to the north barely squeaked out of Carolina.
Here’s the weekend roundup of everybody else:
- The Timbers laid a beating against Toronto Sunday night at home, taking 80 minutes to open a can. [Stumptown Footy]
- Portland State nearly continued the FCS tradition of beating an FBS team on the road. The Vikings went down to Berkley and put up 30 on the scoreboard, losing by just a touchdown. [OregonLive]
- With Oregon’s continued success (like beating Virgina by 30 on Saturday), the Ducks have eliminated any chance of being upset. [Oregon Sports News]
- Oregon State notched their first win of the season when Hawaii came to town on Saturday. [OregonLive]
- The Cougars finally won at USC, but the biggest news might have been the 70,000 people chanting “Fire Kiffin!” The parking lot has been updated, too. (SB Nation)
- Former Seattle Sonics superstar and Oregon State basketball alum Gary Payton was enshrined in the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame on Sunday. “And I don’t forget,” Payton said, “I am the greatest trash-talker of all time, Reggie (Miller). But you know what? I can back it up.” (CBS Sports)
Check out all of Payton’s speech as the Hall of Fame inducted The Glove: