- Know Your Timbers’ Opponent: Red Bulls
- Know Your Timbers’ Opponent: Columbus Crew
- Know Your Timbers’ Opponent: LA Galaxy
- Know Your Timbers’ Opponent: DC United
- Thunder Finally Grab First Franchise Win
- Blazers: What We’ve Learned After Two Games
- Know Your Timbers’ Opponent : Houston Dynamo
- By the Numbers: Portland Thunder Defense
- Thunder Fall to San Jose in Heartbreaker
- Portland Outdoor Report: Turkey Season Opens
Portland Thorns Set Attendance Record in Home Opener Win
- Updated: April 22, 2013
America’s soccer sweetheart Alex Morgan and the Portland Thorns beat Northwest rival Seattle Reign 2-1 in the city’s NWSL home debut Sunday night. And the whole city seemed to show up.
True, the season (and league, itself) are just a few weeks old. But the fans in Portland proved that the Timbers aren’t the only soccer show in town.
How to sum up an action-packed 90 minute game? Easy, Alex Morgan got angry, transformed into the Hulk and smashed her way through defenders, Christine Sinclair assisted by turning on her turbo-boosters and Nikki Washington evolved into Robocop disallowing any opponent to touch the ball.
The Thorns were backed by a raucous, record-setting crowd of 16,479 — the largest crowd yet for any National Women’s Soccer League match.
PHOTO: Portland Thorns forward Alex Morgan (13) controls the ball at JELD-WEN Field on April 21, 2013. (Craig Mitchelldyer/Portland Thorns FC)